Inside: Lovely world literacy quotes that books lovers will swoon over
Reading is one of my biggest passions and happiest pastimes. It has been ever since I stepped foot into my first English class, where I had one of the most incredible teachers who taught me just how amazing it is to be literate.
Prior to that, I had been someone who lived under the idea, “Why read the book when I could watch the movie?” Since this has changed, I have found that reading brings me much more constant joy than movies or TV. It gives me the opportunity to really understand not only myself but people from many different walks of life.
So, I thought I would find some wise words from important people across the world that cover just how amazing reading is. As you check out these world literacy quotes, I hope that you feel a sense of pride that you have the opportunity to pick up a book whenever you want.
World Literacy Quotes
I love seeing how many people understand the beauty of reading. The irony that I am reading quotes about how cool reading is is not lost on me. If you have something that means a lot to you, then you should check out these you mean the world to me quotes!
1. “Literacy is the bridge from misery to hope.” — Kofi Annan
2. “The journey of a lifetime starts with the turning of a page.” — Rachel Anders
3. “Literacy is the most basic currency of the knowledge economy.” — Barack Obama
4. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” — Joseph Addison
5. “To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience, and the fruits of many inquiries.” — A.C. Grayling
6. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” — Dr. Seuss
7. “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” — Bill Clinton
8. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
9. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.” — Saint Augustine
10. “The only thing that you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” — Albert Einstein
11. “Literacy is a door to knowledge and self-empowerment.” — Debasish Mridha
12. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” — George R.R. Martin
12. “The ability to read, write, and comprehend is at the heart of individual empowerment and national development.” — Charles R. Larson
13. “Literacy is the key to open the doors to success in life.” — Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
14. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” — Charles William Eliot
15. “Literacy is the foundation of all learning and the bridge to opportunity.” — Hillary Clinton
16. “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” — Jim Rohn
17. “Literacy is the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman, and child can realize his or her full potential.” — Kofi Annan
More Quotes About Reading
I think everyone has that one book that really started it all for them. Mine was Of Mice and Men, which sounds morbid, but it made me feel such big feelings for only being 14 at the time. If you have kids in your life, I think you’ll enjoy these reading quotes for kids.
18. “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.” — Victor Hugo
19. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” — Richard Steele
20. “The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind.” — Elizabeth Hardwick
21. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.” — Neil Gaiman
22. “Literacy is not a luxury; it is a right and a responsibility. If our world is to meet the challenges of the 21st century, we must harness the energy and creativity of all our citizens.” — President Bill Clinton
23. “The only way to do all the things you’d like to do is to read.” — Tom Clancy
24. “Literacy is the first step towards freedom, towards liberation from social and economic constraints.” — Ben Okri
25. “The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” — Dr. Seuss
26. “Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.” — Anna Quindlen
27. “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.” — Mark Twain
28. “Literacy is the foundation of all learning.” — Kofi Annan
29. “Reading is an exercise in empathy; an exercise in walking in someone else’s shoes for a while.” — Malorie Blackman
30. “The more you read, the less you know; the less you read, the more you know.” — Aristotle
31. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” — Charles W. Eliot
32. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” — Joseph Addison
Wonderful World Literacy Quotes for Book Lovers
These last world literacy quotes are some of my favorites on the list. I am going to use at least five of them in a craft this week. Enjoy!
33. “Literacy is the key to the door of learning, opportunity, and personal empowerment.” — A.D. Posey
34. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.” — Neil Gaiman
35. “The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” — Albert Einstein
36. “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” — Kofi Annan
37. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” — Stephen King
38. “The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.” — Mark Twain
39. “The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries.” — René Descartes
40. “To read is to empower, to empower is to write, to write is to influence, to influence is to change, to change is to live.” — Jane Evershed
41. “Literacy is a foundation to build a more sustainable future.” — Queen Rania of Jordan
42. “Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of generations and nations.” — Henry David Thoreau
43. “Literacy is the road to human progress and the means through which every man, woman, and child can realize his or her full potential.” — Kofi Annan
44. “Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.” — Joseph Addison
45. “The only thing better than reading a good book is recommending it to someone else.” — James Howe
46. “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.” — Kofi Annan
48. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” — Dr. Seuss
49. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” — George R.R. Martin
50. “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” — Jim Rohn
After reading these, my love and respect towards the act of reading has increased tenfold. I am just so grateful to live in a time where I get to dive into different worlds every week. Last week, I was in 1920s New York; this week, I am in a fantasy world of faeries and romance. I am one happy girl!
Reading is so much more than novels. It’s self-help books, college textbooks, and even ancient stone slabs. It’s how we convey information and connect with one another. We become wiser together.
If you loved these, then why not check out these simple life quotes?