Inside: Top phrases from the Boys of Summer quotes that ever baseball fan needs to read
It’s summer time, Ya’ll! You know what that means…it’s baseball season (and it’s the season of fun. Check out these funny summer quotes)! I have been watching baseball with my family ever since I was born, so you know that this game is special to me.
I know how particular baseball fans can be, and I know how much passion we all have for the sport. So I wanted to show you some of the best boys of summer quotes to help you celebrate the season.
I have baseball tickets on Friday, and these quotes seriously got me super hyped! I am counting down the days. If you have a similar soft spot in your heart for Baseball, then you have to read the quotes below.
Boys of Summer Quotes By Baseball Players
First up, I wanted to show you some classic quotes said by some of the world’s best players. Let’s do this!
1. “In baseball and in business, there are three types of people. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – Tommy Lasorda
2. “Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he’s losing; nobody wants you to quit when you’re ahead.” – Jackie Robinson
3. “There’s no crying in baseball!” – Jimmy Dugan (fictional character from the movie “A League of Their Own”)
4. “It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.” – A. Bartlett Giamatti
5. “Baseball is the only place in life where a sacrifice is really appreciated.” – Unknown
6. “Baseball is a team game, but at the same time, it’s a very lonely game: unlike in soccer or basketball, where players roam around, in baseball everyone has their little plot of the field to tend. When the action comes to you, the spotlight is on you, but no one can help you.” – Chad Harbach, “The Art of Fielding”
7. “The great thing about baseball is when you’re done, you’ll only tell your grandchildren the good things. If they ask me about 1989, I’ll tell them I had amnesia.” – Sparky Anderson
8. “You can’t sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You’ve got to throw the ball over the *****mn plate and give the other man his chance. That’s why baseball is the greatest game of them all.” – Earl Weaver
9. “It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. It took one afternoon on the golf course.” – Hank Aaron
10. “The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen.” – Bob Lemon
11. “Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best game in the world.” – Babe Ruth
12. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
13. “The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don’t have to ask anyone or play politics. You don’t have to wait for the reviews.” – Sandy Koufax
14. “Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.” – Ted Williams
15. “You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possibly be – in baseball and in life.” – Pete Rose
Top Baseball Quotes
Okay, if you aren’t feeling the excitement building yet…just keep on reading! Baseball has such a rich history, I can’t help but be in awe of these players.
16. “People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” – Rogers Hornsby
17. “I see great things in baseball. It’s our game – the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.” – Walt Whitman
18. “Baseball is a lot like life. It’s a day-to-day existence, full of ups and downs. You make the most of your opportunities in baseball as you do in life.” – Ernie Harwell
19. “I never said most of the things I said.” – Yogi Berra (on his own quotes)
20. “It ain’t over ’til it’s over.” – Yogi Berra
21. “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.” – Yogi Berra
22. “I’d like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee.” – Joe DiMaggio
23. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.” – Jimmy Dugan (fictional character from the movie “A League of Their Own”)
24. “You can’t think and hit at the same time.” – Yogi Berra
25. “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” – Bob Feller
26. “I never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes.” – Leo Durocher
27. “You always get a special kick on Opening Day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you’re a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.” – Joe DiMaggio
28. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
29. “It’s a round ball and a round bat, and you got to hit it square.” – Pete Rose
Boys Of Summer Quotes
“The Boys of Summer” is a book by Roger Kahn, published in 1972. My Dad use to read it to me every summer! It’s a classic baseball memoir that provides insights into the players and the era. So I have to share some of the Top Boys of Summer quotes.
For more outdoor fun inspiration, check out these fly fishing quotes.
30. “You may glory in a team triumphant, but you fall in love with a team in defeat. Losing after great striving is the story of Man, who was born to sorrow, whose sweetest songs tell of saddest thought, and who, if he is a hero, does nothing in life as becomingly as leaving it.” – Roger Kahn, “The Boys of Summer”
31. “And they, like you and me, are lovers of the game. And let’s face it, the other people you run into, the dog catchers, the delivery boys, the guys you see on the subway, are not going to be as broad-minded about what constitutes the world’s greatest game.” – Roger Kahn, “The Boys of Summer”
32. “I can understand how a person can fight when he is hit, even when he is hit hard. What I can’t understand is a person who fights for a lost cause that isn’t. And I think that’s what he was doing. If I see something of value and it’s worth fighting for, I want it to be worth winning, too. If I see something worth fighting for, I want it to be a cause with no victor, like the Brotherhood of Man or the idea of Heaven on Earth.” – Roger Kahn, “The Boys of Summer”
33. “There comes a time in every man’s life and I’ve had plenty of them.” – Roger Kahn, “The Boys of Summer”
34. “No matter what sort of statistics you might compile on Jackie Robinson, statistics never tell the story. It’s just something you feel when you talk to him, something he has, something that shines.” – Roger Kahn, “The Boys of Summer”
After reading these boys of summer quotes, I am feeling a new sense of pride for the sport of baseball. So whether you watch the big leagues or you support your local players…I hope these inspired you.
If baseball isn’t your only favorite sport, then you may enjoy these funny golf quotes that are just pure gold! Life is too short to take anything too seriously, so read these for a laugh.