Inside: Misery loves company quotes that will make you appreciate your optimism.
I think everyone has heard the quote, ‘misery loves company.’ It’s famous because it speaks heavily to a certain truth; pessimists tend to run together. When someone is miserable, they don’t like it when the people around them are happy, so they end up sticking with people who are on the same level of misery that they are.
If you know people in your life that are like this, it may be comforting to you to read some misery loves company quotes that are painfully accurate.
I have gathered over 90 of some of the best quotes for you to take a look at. If these remind you of anyone in your life, maybe it’s time for some distance. You have to protect your happiness!
Misery Loves Company Quotes
Here we have some great misery loves company quotes to get you started. I know it can be hard when someone you love is a pessimist, but remember that the most important thing is that you protect yourself and your energy, so check out these quotes and see if any of these resonate.
1. “There are some people who are always angry and continuously look for conflict. Walk away: The battle they are fighting isn’t with you. It is with themselves.”
2. “Don’t let someone’s bitterness kill your spirit. Happiness is not a crime, so never feel guilt for showing it. Let your light shine today, and don’t worry about who makes it uncomfortable.”
3. “Misery loves company, but the lesser known part is company don’t much care for misery.” – Daramola Gabriel Oluwatimilehin
4. “Misery loves company, particularly when she is herself the hostess, and can give generously of her stores to others.” – John Kendrick Bangs
5. “Bitter people. God loves them, and so should we. Pray for them. They will find something negative to say about anything positive. They can’t be happy for you because they are disgusted with themselves.” – Tony Gaskins
6. “Misery Loves Company.” – John Ray
7. “Misery loves company, but the company does not reciprocate.” – Addison Mizner
8. “Be careful who you listen to..not every one that speaks into your life has your best interest at heart. Misery loves company. Beware of the frienemies because real friends with real advice are hard to come by!” – Tony Gaskins Jr
9. “It’s a shame when people who can’t get their life on track have to infect everyone around them.”
10. “Misery loves company, but that doesn’t mean you have to accept the invitation.” – Gary Renard
11. “Well, aren’t you a little ray of pitch black.”
12. “I know misery loves company, but can’t miserable people find eachother instead of trying to convert others?”
13. “They say misery loves company, but so does mediocrity. Don’t let the limiting beliefs of others limit what’s possible for you.” – Hal Elrod
14. “Do not allow the energy of negative people to affect you.”
15. “It’s true misery loves company but right now there’s no vacancy.
16. “Some people are mad at you because you are not suffering the way they expected you to.”
17. “While misery loves company, peace craves solitude.”
18. “You can tell that someone is truly miserable in their lives when they look for ways to destroy someone else’s life.”
19. “If misery loves company, misery has company enough.” – Henry David Thoreau
20. “Unhappy people throw the most shade.”
Next up, we have some pessimist quotes. These will get your blood boiling when you read them, so make sure you are ready for that. There are certain patterns in that we constantly see in human nature that cannot be ignored. One of those is that unhappy people stay with unhappy people. Don’t be one of them!
21. “We’re happy and people hate that.”
22. “Don’t let them judge you from the shadows while you are in the light.”
23. “Misery loves company. When I am going through something, I keep it to myself, we are not the same.”
24. “If you have to hurt other people in order to feel powerful, you are an extremely weak individual.” – Bobby J. Mattingly
25. “Deleting people from your life can be so refreshing.”
26. “Misery no longer loves company. Nowadays, it insists on it.” – Russell Baker
27. “People hate when they’re unhappy with their own lives; they feel the need to focus on someone else’s.”
28. “Your attitude is the reason you’re so unhappy.”
29. “Do not be misled: bad company corrupts good character.” – Corinthians 15:33
30. “Don’t ruin other people’s happiness just because you can’t find your own.”
31. “When you finally learn that a person’s behavior has more to do with their own internal struggle than it ever did with you…you learn grace.”
32. “Unhappy people are dangerous.”
33. “There’s no need to talk so much; people will figure it out.”
34. “People who don’t celebrate your wins are not true.”
35. “Remember, those that try to destroy your happiness do so out of jealousy; they are unhappy with their own miserable lives.”
36. “Birds of a feather flock together, make sure that your birds have a good outlook on life.”
37. “I am very cautious about who I let in my life.”
38. “Unhappy people throw the most shade.”
39. “They both shared the same outlook. No wonder they got on so well”
40. “I had to cut her off, my own happiness is more important than trying to keep someone in my life who is never happy for me.”
Top Misery Loves Company Quotes
Next up, I have some of the top misery loves company quotes. These quotes describe what it is like to see someone who loves to be miserable. I think that these quotes make me even more appreciative of the outlook that I have in life.
41. “When negative people take offense to your positivity, you are winning.”
42. “Miserable people focus on what they hate about their life. Happy people focus on what they love about their life.”
43. “The wrong person isn’t breaking their back to make you happy. So, stop breaking your back for them.” – Sonya Parker
44. “Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.” – Bill Watterson
45. “If misery loves company, apparently today I’m a CEO.”
46. “Misery loves company, does it not? It’s the hope that sets men at one another’s throats here.” – Cassidy
47. “Misery loves company but happy is a better friend.” – Ray Torres
48. “Some people look at you like an odd ball when you bring medicine to a toxic conversation. They don’t want you to heal them. They want you to be sick too.”
49. “Shut the front door, shut the garage door, shut the windows. Don’t let it in.”
50. “It’s a shame when people can’t get their life on track, have to infect everyone around them. Misery loves company, but karma will come full circle.”
51. “Misery loves company, which explains my sudden popularity.”
52. “Be careful…people judge out of their own misery.”
53. “Don’t worry about the people who aren’t happy for you. They probably aren’t happy for themselves either.”
54. “Some people couldn’t be nice, even if a unicorn shoved a fairy wand up their butts while Judy Garland stood there singing, ‘Somewhere over the rainbow'”
55. “Happy people find a way to live with their problems, and miserable people let their problems stop them from living.” – Sonya Parker
56. “Some people attack those who have the peace & joy they wish they had! Pay them no mind! Live your dream, strut and wave.”
57. “They say that misery loves company but sometimes company makes you miserable.”
58. “If misery loves company, then triumph demands an audience.” – Brian Moore
59. “Misery loves company which is ironic because it rarely throws dinner parties.” – Dov Davidoff
60. “Misery loves company, and madness calls it forth.” – Yann Martel
Funny Pessimist Quotes
I had to add a list of funny pessimist quotes because there were so many good ones to choose from. These were the top ones that made me chuckle, so I hope they do the same for you.
61. “Peace comes from staying away from the miserable.”
62. “Misery loves company but that doesn’t mean you have to accept the invitation.”
63. “Misery loves company but you don’t have to answer the door.”
64. “Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive, it will take their breath away.”
65. “There are some people who are so negative they can walk into a dark room and start to develop.”
66. “Misery loves company. Care to join me?”
67. “Misery loves company. This is a Hollywood soap opera, and I’m not going to be a start in another Bryant soap opera.” – Karl Malone
68. “Do not allow the energy of negative people to affect you.”
69. “if you see someone who is trying to make you angry or upset, don’t react. It is not your job to make people happy.”
70. “The most toxic thing you can do is allow patterns to repeat.” – Camillion
71. “When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself.” – Thich Naht Hanh
72. “Well, the company loves misery. Boom!” – Casper the Movie
73. “Just because misery loves company doesn’t mean that I want to be in the company of misery.” – Raheem Askia
74. “You can’t make yourself happy by bringing misery to other people.”
75. “Do not allow miserable people in your life. Otherwise, you will because what they are.”
76. “I am very precious about my time and energy; I think you have to be in a world of miserable people.”
77. “She was miserable, but I didn’t see it until the sun hit her just right. What I thought was a sister turned out to be a shriveled up sad little monster who didn’t care for me at all. So I had to leave because I didn’t want to become miserable as well.”
78. “Misery loves company; I have never heard of anything so accurate.”
79. “Since when do you think that you can come into my life with your misery?”
80. “Misery loves company, yeah, that sounds about right.”
Painfully Accurate Misery Loves Company Quotes
Last but certainly not least, I have some of the most painfully accurate misery loves company quotes that you will ever read. I think that the quotes above were just the appetizer to this main course. Enjoy!
81. “If you find one miserable person, you have found them all.”
82. “I don’t know about you, but I actually enjoy being happy.”
83. “I made the life of my dreams by cutting out people who were threatened by my success rather than excited.”
84. “I looked at her and I saw the truth: Miserable people love company. I was not interested.”
85. “From across the room I could see their table fill, not one of them was smiling.”
86. “Miserable people are the ones that could snarl in the face of kittens, stay away from them.”
87. “I love you but I can’t have you in my life anymore, I need to be happy.”
88. “The magic of choice is that you get to decide what you’re life looks like, and I decided I didn’t have room for miserable people.”
89. “I didn’t know how else to say it, if I was in the room with him for one more minute, I would have become as miserable as he was, so I screamed.”
90. “The old proverb is true, misery loves company.”
91. “Of course, misery loves company, the worst thing to a miserable person is seeing someone succeed.”
I hope you enjoyed these misery loves company quotes. What did I tell you? They were painfully accurate! I know that it can be hard to identify people that are like this in your life, but it can be very important. Just to clarify: When I say miserable people, I am talking about the ones that are always complaining. The ones that will tear you down when you are doing good.
Everyone has ups and downs, good days and bad; that’s normal. It’s the people that are never happy that you have to look out for. So be careful!
If you enjoyed these quotes, I think you should check out some of my other favorites. Words are powerful, and these quotes just go to prove that as a fact!