Inside: Quotes about school uniforms that will make you think.
There have been many debates about the effect that having mandated school uniforms have on children. On the one hand, it gives students one less thing to worry about and compare themselves over. While on the other hand, it strips them of their individuality.
This argument has been going on for years now, each person having their own view. Many have made statements about it, so I wanted to open this discussion up here.
I have gathered some of the best quotes about school uniforms. I tried my best to make sure that I added equal amounts from both sides.
So if this is something that you have been thinking about lately, then read through these ideas from others. They may help you find an understanding of how you feel about this subject.
Best Quotes About School Uniforms
First up, we have a good mix of opinions that lean more towards the positive side of wearing school uniforms. You may recognize the names of some of these people. Take a look!
1. “I have always loved fashion since I was a kid and customized my school uniforms.” – Victoria Beckham
2. “Our uniform is part of our school identity, uniting our students, and we hope that they take pride in wearing it.” – Bryn Thomas
3. “I think it’s a beautiful thing when you wear a uniform or a garb which represents a group of people because it symbolizes oneness and togetherness.” – Nia Long
4. “The uniform makes for brotherhood since when universally adopted, it covers up all differences of class and country.” – Robert Baden-Powell
5. “I don’t believe we were put here with all our differences to conform to a uniform state of mind.”
6. “The decision was made not to pursue school uniforms but to further clarify our current policy. They felt that, from research, uniforms were not appropriate for our school district.”
7. “Uniform of a student and the uniform of a solider are bother equally needed for the nation.” – Amit Kalantri
8. “Don’t these schools do enough damage making all these kids think alike? Now they have to make them look alike too? It’s not a new idea, either. I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930s, but it was hard to understand because the narration was in German.” – George Carlin
9. “Uniform ideas originating among entire people unknown to each other must have a common ground of the truth.” – Giambattista Vico
10. “I wanted to wear a uniform when I was in high school, but I couldn’t. I was like, ‘it would be so much easier!” – Taylor Schilling
11. “If they are learning, I don’t care what they’re wearing.” Kelly Wickham Hurst
12. “It was nice to wear a suit at a young age; it’s different from a school uniform.”
13. “I went to a catholic school, and underneath my school uniform, I wore a metal shirt.” George Strouboulopoulos
Good Thoughts on Uniforms
This list is definitely more on the pro-school uniform side. If you are in opposition to these, that is totally okay. It is always good to get to understand the other side’s point of view. Check these statements out.
14. “I loved school; I loved putting on my uniform and doing homework every day. I was one of those good students that the teachers liked. I guess that’s got to be a pretty nerdy, geeky part of me.” – Yvonne Strahovski
15. “It is always an honor to put on a uniform” – Manny Machado
16. “Man, I wish god wasn’t starting to shake us up like this. Wouldn’t it just be easier to care about stuff like dinnerware, golf, school uniforms, and getting to that new restaurant that just opened.” – Lisa Samson
17. “Boys do not leave their boyhood behind when they leave off their school uniform.”
18. “Studies consistently show that when a school requires its students to wear school uniforms or even has a dress code, grades rise and violence decreases.” – Dennis Prager
19. “School uniforms shouldn’t cost a fortune.”
20. “From wearing school uniforms to wearing the wedding dress, she always looked like a princess to him.” – Sukruth Bk
21. “Australian schools have cool uniforms. I wish I had to wear a straw hat for maths.” – Harry Styles
22. “I’d go on the train to castings, changing from my school uniform on the train. I carried on like that for a few years, getting jobs in bits and pieces.” – Kate Moss
23. I’ve been wearing lipstick since I was in 7th grade. That was our form of self-expression because we had to wear school uniforms. It made our teachers so angry.” – Kourtney Kardashian
24. “What was the most beautiful dress you’ve ever worn?’ She replied, ‘A school dress.’ with a smile and tears.”
25. “Her wardrobe was now full of clothes of different colors. Yet, nothing was as amusing as the monotony of her school uniform.”
26. “When you put on a uniform, there are certain inhibitions that you accept.” Dwight. D. Eisenhower
27. “And then one fine day, we took off our school uniform and never wore it back.” – Laibia Zia
28. “Where did all your money go? I’m wearing it.”
29. “Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.” – Malcolm X
30. “One child, one teacher, one pen, and one book can change the world.” Malala Yousafzai
31. “School uniforms encourage discipline but amplify inter-school rivalry.”
Quotes that Question School Uniforms
Next up, here are some quotes that call into question the legitimacy of wearing school uniforms. These thinkers question whether making students wear uniforms does more harm than good.
32. “I couldn’t decide how to feel. Was my school uniform allowing me to focus on school, or was it distracting me from knowing myself?”
33. “I felt myself slipping away every time I put on that stupid school dress.”
34. “Every morning, I woke up, put on my school clothes, and left my soul at home.”
35. “What happens when we wear our own clothes? We allow ourselves to be our own unique entities. What happens when we are our own unique entities? We aren’t useful to them.”
36. “Pros of school uniforms should be abolished. Wearing school uniforms is a total denial of human rights.”
37. “I tried to paint in art class, but my school uniform wouldn’t let me move freely.”
38. “I don’t understand what is so wrong with the idea of being me. These clothes aren’t cool at all.”
39. “My favorite thing about graduating from that school was never putting that uniform on again.”
40. “It was funny…when I was finally finished with school, I didn’t know myself enough to know what to put on each morning.”
41. “Just slapping clothes on kids won’t improve a school, but uniforms accompanied by other reforms can make a difference.”- Joe Palumbo
42. “I am often at war with myself for missing my school uniform with its simplicity while enjoying being myself.”
Interesting School Quotes
And lastly, here is a mixed bag of opinions on this subject. I think at the end of the day, it is important to do what feels right for you and your child. That will look different for everybody.
43. “Nothing makes you feel more like a cog in a big machine than walking into a school of hundreds of kids dressed the same.”
44. “Because of my uniform, I didn’t have to compare so much of myself to the other kids.”
45. “A uniform is an attempt to reconcile form and content, to match what you think you look like with what you’d like to look like, what you think you are with what you want to suggest.”
46. “I really took for granted how simple it was to wake up and not have to think about what I am going to wear.”
47. “I walk into school and see my classmates, all of us singularly dressed on a singular mission.”
48. “I look at my old school uniform and it makes me smile. It is a symbol of the dedication to learning that I had.”
49. “School uniform forces unique individuals to think, act, and look alike.”- Mokokoma Mokhonoana
50. “Though the skirt was grey, my mind was a rainbow of ideas that had the room to grow.”
51. “I feel like we are getting away from the most important fact: I am a woman who had the opportunity to learn, and I did.”
52. “I think the hardest part about being an adult has to wake up and choose what to wear. I would kill for a school uniform.”
53. “School uniforms were something that I was always excited to put on. I always felt like such a serious and driven young lad.”
54. “The typical school uniform is very basic and designed in a conservative manner.”
55. “What happens when you take away the ability to choose your clothes? There are fewer arguments, less comparison, and more companionship.”
So, I know this is a bit of a heavier topic, but it is one that should be thought about. The best way to open our minds is to learn about the ideas of people that oppose our own.
School uniforms have been around for ages, but they are slowly being weened out. Most schools actually don’t require a uniform, though they do have a dress code. But many private schools still do, hence why this is still a debate. I love reading quotes that help me to see from both sides of an argument, and these defiantly delivered that.
If you want to read some more quotes that you will love some of our other ideas. Check them out!