Inside: Sweet reading quotes for kids that will inspire them to put down their tablet and pick up a book
I will be the first to admit that I was never a big reader when I was growing up. In fact, I was a part of the group that thought, “What is the point of reading the book when you could watch the movie?” Yikes…I know.
This all changed when I got to high school. I always say that everyone has that one book that made them into a reader, and mine (as cheesy as it sounds) was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. This book left me a changed girl. Now I confidently reside in the group of people that think, “Wow, the book was better than the movie.”
If I had one wish, it would be that I could go back in time and teach little me that reading is actually super cool! Sadly since time machines do not exist, the closest thing I can get to that would be to spread this message now. So below you will find a collection of my favorite reading quotes for kids. Read these to your littles to teach them that a whole universe is waiting for them!
Cutest Reading Quotes for Kids for Motivation
The power of reading may not be an obvious one, but it’s there. Reading can be so beneficial for children. It can teach them empathy, strengthen their neuropathways, and so SO much more. So for this first list, I wanted to start out strong with some of the cutest reading quotes for kids. Take a look!
1. “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
2. “Reading is a passport to countless adventures.” – Mary Pope Osborne
3. “The more that you read, the more that you know, the more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
4. “Once you learn to read, you will forever be free.” – Fredrick Douglass
5. “A book is like a garden, carried in the pocket.” – Chinese Proverb
6. “You are never alone when lost in the magic of a book.” – Marie Lu
7. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax; all you need is a book.” – Dr. Seuss
8. “Reading helps your mind bloom.”
9. “Reading takes you on the greatest adventures.”
10. “Learning to read is like being given a key that unlocks the door to your wildest imagination.”
11. “Reading is dreaming with open eyes.”
12. “I do believe that something very magical can happen when you read a book.” – J.K Rowling
13. “Everyone is a reading; some just haven’t found their favorite book yet.”
14. “Reading makes your mind blossom.”
15. “Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world.” – Matilda
More Motivational Quotes About Books
Sometimes all we need is a little push. When I was young, if someone told me that THE Taylor Swift thought reading was cool…I would have been a book lover YEARS before my time. That’s why I included this next list. These are sure to inspire kids to put down that tablet and pick up a book! I am going to read these to my niece and nephew.
16. “I think it’s the books that you read when you are young that live with you forever.” – J.K Rowling
17. “Books train your imagination to think big.” – Taylor Swift
18. “Reading aloud with children is known to be the single most important activity for building the knowledge and skills they will eventually require for learning to read.” – Marilyn Jager Adams
19. “There is no substitute for books in the life of a child.” – Mary Ellen Chase
20. “Reading to children, even before they can understand words, teaches them to associate books with love and affection.”
21. “Your mind is a garden and books are the seeds, so pick your favorite and bloom as you read!”
22. “You can read anything your heart desires, there are entire worlds waiting for you to open them up.”
23. “Reading is an exercise in empathy, an exercise in walking in someone else’s shoes for a while.” – Malorie Blackman
24. “Reading is out of this world.”
25. “A book is a dream that you hold in your hand.” – Neil Gaiman
26. “Open a book, and you will find people and places of every kind; Open a book, and you can be anything you want to be; open a book, and you can share wonderous words you find in there. Open a book, and I will too; you read to me, and I will read to you!”
27. “April showers mean we can read for hours!”
Reading Quotes for Kids from Kids’ Books
For this last list, I thought the books could speak for themselves. These are a collection of my favorite quotes from children’s books that I think adults and children alike can enjoy. It’s interesting to reread some of these books as adults because they have a lot more meaning than we once thought. You are going to love these reading quotes for kids.
28. “It’s no use to go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” – Alice in Wonderland
29. “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.” – Winnie the Pooh
30. “Listen to the mustn’ts, child, listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossible, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child, anything can be.” – Shel Silverstein
31. “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” -Winnie the Pooh(Find more Winnie the Pooh Quotes Here)
32. “You’ve always had the power, my dear. You just had to learn it for yourself.” – The Wizard of Oz
33. “Open different doors, and you may find a you there that you never knew was yours. Anything can happen.” – Mary Poppins
34. “Where you tend a rose, a thistle can not grow.” – The Secret Garden
35. “You have been my friend, replied Charlotte; that in itself is a tremendous thing.” – Charlotte’s Web
36. “There are a whole lot of things in this world you haven’t started wondering about yet.” – James and the Giant Peach
37. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” – Peter Pan
38. “Be who you are and say how you feel because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” – The Cat in the Hat
39. “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” – The Little Prince
40. “Out there, under the stars, I really tried to focus on myself and what I needed. I took walks, I read books, I floated in a river, I wrote in my journal and found simple moments to be quiet.” – The Good Egg
41. “I love you right up to the moon – and back.” – Guess How Much I Love You
42. “Real isn’t how you are made’, said the Skin Horse, ‘It’s a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but really loves you, then you become real.” – The Velveteen Rabbit
Reading is seriously one of my greatest passions. Every week I get to dive into a whole other world filled with interesting characters and plots. During my slower months, this allows me to still feel like I am experiencing something magical. I still wish that I would have started sooner. But better late than never, I suppose!
I hope that you enjoyed these reading quotes for kids. I am telling you, the benefits outweigh anything when it comes to reading. Instilling a love for literature and books in kids while they are young is setting them up for great success!
If you loved these quotes, then why stop here? I have even more reading quotes for kids that I think you are really going to love. Check them out because you can never get enough reading quote motivation!